Wednesday, September 7, 2016

The Fall Project Preview

You guys, HOW is it September already? Oh, right, I know how… because the whole of August went by in a blur. Between working on the giant backyard project, speaking at the Haven conference, and the other small projects I've been working on, I've barely had enough time to sit down. I'm also trying to get my butt into gear for some OCR and 5k races this fall, but more on that later (I've got some running gear I'd like to recommend to you in a future post, so that's coming up).


going through instructions on the backhoe


Last week, I spent a few days up in New York (fourth visit in two years!) with one of my annual blog sponsors. I danced in a kick line with the Rockettes, decorated a cake at Carlo's Bakery (sorry, I didn't meet the Cake Boss himself, but I did snag one good pic with Mauro and learned how to drape a cake in fondant… and turns out, my artistic abilities can be translated into edible form), and got a few more glimpses of the Hearst Tower (I love this building!). It was an adult field trip basically, but I really enjoyed it and got to see a few blog friends that I met during last year's orientation.


We're just a few weeks away from the first official day of fall, but I can already feel it in the air. Pine straw is already falling all over the back yard, which probably means it's not too bad of a time to start thinking about putting in some grass seed. I just spread a bag shortly after finishing the grading project (final post comin' at ya soon), and some of it is already starting to grow in!


new grass growing in the backyard


Fall has a tendency to kick things up a notch around the UDH. I suppose it's just that the weather becomes a little less unbearable (Georgia summers = practically hugging the sun), but it's also just that things start to get so exciting. There's a palpable buzz. For a moment, I thought I might be making it all up and just getting a little optimistic about the months ahead… until I actually looked through the list of things I did around this time last year.


Last Fall's Accomplishments:



hanging plants


So, yeah… I suppose that in the span of three months, shit is going to change quite a bit. So, I might as well just set a few goals to know where I stand this coming year.


2016 Goals



  • Make a new Halloween costume (topping last year is going to be tough, IMO)

  • Finish the kitchen bar oil job

  • Add some art above the kitchen bar

  • Make progress on the crown molding

  • Fix the master bathroom floor tile

  • Build Charlie a dog feeder (I am sick of how she turns over her food bowl… time to do something about it!)

  • Figure out the back yard design

  • Seed the backyard lawn

  • Add lighting to the back yard?

  • Put in a few slabs for the future backyard shed and the area where I want to hide my trash can

  • Fix the part of the fence that dad broke with the backhoe (yep… that happened)

  • Teach myself something new

  • More tutorials!


how to repair a wheelbarrow flat tire


What are your fall goals this year? More tutorials coming later this week (writing them as we speak), so stick around!


While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy & effectiveness of the information displayed on this website, The Ugly Duckling House is for entertainment purposes only. All tutorials and demonstrations are not intended to be professional advice (nor substitute as such), and I make no guarantees as to the procedures and information here. Creating with my suggested methods, materials, and tools is under your own risk. Please ensure you are following proper guidelines with anything used, and seek professional advice if you don't know how to do something! Read my complete disclosure here.

The post The Fall Project Preview appeared first on The Ugly Duckling House.


Website // Subscribe // Advertise // Twitter // Facebook // Google+


No comments:

Post a Comment